What is the KAA Hardship Fund?
The Hardship Fund is a source of financial help available to KAA students. The aim of the fund is to help students who have difficulties in paying for:
1. Curriculum trips and visits;
2. Uniform, shoes or sports kit;
3. Equipment (for example ingredients for cookery classes);
4. Exceptional travel expenses to/from school
Payments from the fund are discretionary and the school has no obligation to make them. Payments are a grant not a loan and do not need to be repaid.
KAA has a limited budget so these grants are small and only intended for a limited number of students. Parents in financial difficulties should take advice from Government agencies or from professionals such as social workers or debt counsellors. Our Family Connections Manager, Nicki Wyss (email@example.com), can help parents to access these services,
Who is eligible?
· Students in receipt of free school meals
· Students in low income families. This will normally be families with a household income of less than £18,000 or families who are claiming Universal Credit or other means tested benefits.
· Students with disabilities
· Students who are or have been in care
Even if these conditions are not met the Principal has discretion to allow other cases to be met from the hardship fund if he considers there is good reason.
KAA may request recent proof of benefits if the student is not already registered for Free School Meals.
How to apply to the Hardship Fund
Please note that applications for the Autumn term are now closed and any further applications will not be considered until the spring 2021 term
A Hardship Fund Application must be completed and should be returned to Mr Bernard (firstname.lastname@example.org), or the student’s Director of Learning. The application will be strictly confidential and will be considered by the Principal and Mr Bernard.
Students and parents cannot appeal a decision not to award a hardship grant as the school’s decision is final.
Download an application form here: Hardship Fund Application
How much can I apply for?
· Help with cost of trips or other activities – maximum £100 total
· Help with uniform, shoes or sports kit – maximum £100 total
· Equipment – maximum £50 total
· Help with travel – maximum £75 per term
These are maximum grants and in many cases smaller amounts will be paid.