Year 6 Transition Information
If your child has been offered a place at Kensington Aldridge Academy for September 2019 entry into Year 7, this page should provide you with all the information you will need, as well as answering any questions you might have.
Over the next seven years we guarantee your child a first-rate education. At KAA we provide opportunities for both academic and personal development that are very hard to find elsewhere. There is much to recommend KAA:
· A safe, caring environment, where every child is individually supported and challenged.
· An unrelenting focus on teaching and learning, which we see as the core business of any school. Teachers at KAA are dedicated, reflective practitioners, committed to developing their own subject knowledge and classroom skills. In doing so we are modelling the learning behaviour we ask of our students.
· The highest possible expectations of students and staff in terms of their attitude, behaviour and work ethic. We are a strict, disciplined environment, and it is your child who will benefit from this discipline.
· Through our partnerships with Godolphin & Latymer and Charterhouse, two elite independent schools, a level of academic challenge and preparation for university entrance that is unique in the state sector.
· Through our partnerships with the Royal Academy of Dance and LAMDA, opportunities to develop creative and performance based skills, working with professionals from these world-renowned institutions.
We look forward to working with you over the next seven years. Your child will receive an education at KAA which is (in Ofsted’s words) not just outstanding but also “remarkable” and “exceptional”.
This is an exciting and important new chapter for you and your child, we know you will be excited to get started! Once you have received an offer for KAA from your local authority, the next steps are as follows:
· The national deadline for accepting offers for secondary school is Thursday 15th March. You must accept the offer of a place with your home local authority.
· All parents will shortly be sent forms via post to be completed and returned to KAA as soon as possible. This will include personal details, medical details and the KAA Home School Agreement. Please call the school on 0207 313 5800 if you need replacement forms sent to you.
· All students will be invited to attend a Y6 Taster Day on Wednesday 3rd July from 9am – 3pm to familiarise themselves with teachers, our culture and our routines.
· We will be hosting a Y6 Parents’ Information Evening at KAA, also on Wednesday 3rd July at 6.30pm, to discuss with you some key aspects of academy life and go over the arrangements for the start of term.
Frequently Asked Questions
I have questions about the admissions process or an appeal, who should I contact?
If your query is a general one about the application process or an appeal, please go direct to the admissions team at RBKC or your home local authority and do not call the school.
What are the terms dates for the 2019-2020 academic year?
Autumn Term 2019
Aut1 term starts: Thursday 5th September
Aut1 term ends: Friday 18th October
Half Term Holiday: Monday 21st October – Friday 1st November
Aut2 term starts: Monday 4th November
Aut2 term ends: Friday 20th December
Christmas holiday: Monday 23rd December to Tuesday 7th January
Staff training / planning days (school closed to students): 30th August, 2nd, 3rd and 4th August, 1st November
Spring Term 2020
Spr1 term starts: Wednesday 8th January
Spr1 term ends: Friday 14th February
Half term holiday: Monday 17th February to Monday 24th February
Spr2 term starts: Tuesday 25th February
Spr2 term ends: Friday 3rd April
Easter holiday: Monday 6th April to Tuesday 21st April
Staff planning / training days: 3rd, 6th & 7th January, 24th February
Summer Term 2020
Sum1 term starts: Wednesday 22nd April
Bank holiday (school closed to students): Monday 4th May
Sum1 term ends: Friday 22nd May
Half term holiday: Monday 25th May to Tuesday 2nd June
Sum2 term starts: Wednesday 3rd June
Sum2 term ends: Friday 17th July
Staff planning / training days (school closed to students): 20th, 21st April, 1st, 2nd June, 20th, 21st July
How do I purchase my child’s KAA school uniform?
We are proud of our young people and encourage them to be proud of their school and their community. One key aspect of this is that all of our students will wear a smart uniform. This promotes safety, a sense of community and demonstrates that students are ready to work.
Students must be impeccably presented in the correct school uniform at all times. The KAA uniform consists of a grey blazer, striped tie (in house colours), maroon jumper, white shirt or blouse and dark grey trousers. Girls can choose between a pleated skirt or trousers. You do not need to purchase your child’s house tie in advance is this allocated to your child on their first day and paid for via ParentPay.
Our supplier address is: School Uniform Direct, 343 North End Road (opposite Co-Op and near to Superdrug), London, SW6 1NN.
Detailed prices, descriptions and an on-line ordering facility is available from our supplier School Uniform Direct on their website. Click here to be directed to the KAA section of School Uniform Direct.